Sunday, September 27, 2009

Broken Magnet, Broken Heart


What if we had a magnet that could keep the pieces of our broken hearts together? My Frankfurt-am-Main magnet fell off the fridge door today. It was not a suicide, but a magnet-cide.

The magnet I bought last year in a sunny and hot summer afternoon rambling around Frankfurt, while spending time in a long stopover in a flight from Portugal to Japan, the very same day Germany lost the football Euro Cup against Spain, which had survive my moving back from Japan to Catalonia, broke. It was my fault, though. However, the circular magnetic piece at the back of the dish had kept the broken pieces together.

What if our hearts could be kept together with magnets? wouldn't our wrecks be less painful and short? Or we would keep being attached to the same cold fridge forever?

It is ironic to me that the Catalan word for magnet is imant, deriving from aïmant, an old word meaning lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment