Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Puris or Pooris?

This is the menu we found in a Punjabi restaurant near our hotel, close to Euston Station. I've got to say I couldn't understand most of it, so I asked the waiter for some suggestions. The guy told us to order Shankar Thali, on the upperside of the rightmost column. Since the place was called Ravi Shankar, like the sitar player, I guess thali means something like "meal" or "set".

The picture below corresponds to the Shankar Thali, with dal soup papadam (??), bhajias (??), ralta (??), and the most intriguing thing, puris or pooris, according to a varying orthography all around the menu. The dish by the chapatti is the one called Behl Pooris. There I discovered what puffed rice was: rice krispies. First time I eat krispies in a dinner starter.


Other specialities were khadi (??), paneer muttor (??), achaar (??), gulab jamun (??), shrikhand (??), paratha keer (??), malai kofta (??), sambhar (??), dahi vada (??), and more pooris and chutney. I really missed some pictures in the menu, to know at least what I was about to order. And not only us were totally lost, the couple by our table was also looking at the menu for 10min before having a little chat with the oldest waiter about what would be advisable to eat.

The food, after all, was delicious and so spicy and hot I felt like having a piece of flaming hell in my mouth, but I like it hot! However, what were the pooris? It turned out to be a crispy fried round piece of indian bread, on the dish near the lower rightmost corner of the picture. I must confess I completely ignore Punjabi cuisine since the only Punjabi I've ever met was called Anthony, had been born in Oxford, and the only thing he used to eat while in Japan, where I met him, was Sato's Gohan (サトウのご飯) with mayonnaise, fried chicken and chips, clearly a more English food.

No comments:

Post a Comment