Saturday, January 9, 2010

Varykino 2.0

It's been heavily snowing in the interior of Tarragona province these last few days, and I've decided to go to see the snow this afternoon. I've gone, as usual, to Poblet, at the footsteps of Prades mountains, the coldest place in the province. I heard on the radio the way to Prades was blocked by snow, which is normal, as also are most of the roads on the other side of the mountain, in the Priorat, which is kind of exceptional.



Poblet is a Cistercian monastery with a great deal of history behind, but for me, it is a place where I've spent very enjoyable summer days walking around its mountains, which used to be full of chestnut trees before a plague decimated their population. I also worked many Autums while a student harvesting grape in a huge estate in Montblanc, a nearby village. I usually bring there my friends, as I did last time in August with my friends from Valencia that visited me in Barcelona.



However, today the place seemed more the ice-palace at Varykino, the hamlet in Dr. Zhivago where Yuri reunites Lara, than Poblet. Lara finally leaves with Komarovsky, and Yuri, for her best interest or maybe knowing her choice, let her go. Komarovsky had turned Lara into his mistress, Lara had turned Pasha into Strelnikov, the shooter, and the war had turned Yuri and Lara into lovers, but also separated them, forever. Varykino is just their ending icy sanctuary that will melt down and be forgotten in spring. Poblet was also an icy sancturay this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment